Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Wildcats claw past Huskies


In what could very well be a preview of the Big East Championship Game on March 11, the Villanova Wildcats proved (again) they belong among basketball's elite by taking down the top-ranked UCONN Huskies. 'Nova now leads the Big East with a 10-1 conference record (20-2 overall).

The fourth-ranked Wildcats have been on fire all season, with their only losses coming to #9 Texas (58-55) and #11 West Virginia (91-87). With the pro team spinning its wheels, the 'Cats have given Philadelphia a real winner to stand behind.

Now I know that the NCAA Tournament is still a month away, but I can't help but make my first prediction. I see the Wildcats going on a tear and ending up at the Final Four. Somewhere, Rollie Massamino and the Class of '85 are smiling.

Interesting fact about tonight's game: It was played in front of the largest crowd ever assembled in Pennsylvania for a college basketball game. (Source: NBC 10)



Technorati Tags:,,

1 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, February 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Villanova showed a lot in that game, especially when UConn looked like they were going to blow it open in the second half. Here's the thing that concerns me about Villanova. I'm a UConn fan, and a huge Big East supporter. As UConn has dominated the Big East for the past 10-15 years, it seems that so many times the other teams that enter the tourney strong along with UConn bow out early. Examples most recently are Pittsburgh's inability to get by the Sweet 16.

So while I'd love to see the Wildcats join UConn in the Final Four, until I see it, my gut feeling is they will be another disappointed Big East high seed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home