Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Sixers officially in search for new answer


Today's trade of Allen Iverson to the Denver Nuggets is bittersweet. On the plus side, AI will not be in the division or conference. This is a bonus especially considering that Boston was an instant frontrunner to snag him. Another plus is the fact that the Philadelphia 76ers were able to acquire Joe Smith's expiring contract, two first round draft picks and Andre Miller (pictured), a solid point guard who's averaging more than nine assists on the season.

Sadly, though, this marks the end of an era in Sixers basketball, an exciting one to boot. Iverson is one of the greatest players that ever put on a Philly uniform, and it's a shame that he isn't leaving with a ring (not his fault at all, but that's another can of worms that team owner Ed Snider should address). I've never seen a player do so much with so little stature. He truly gave 100 percent on the court every time he laced up.

Another disappointment is the fact that this is an admission that the team cannot win with Iverson and his hefty contract. Building a team around the superstar, still in his prime, just never seemed to work. As good as he is, I knew they would eventually have to part way if the Sixers were going to win a title in the future. In 2002, I met former Sixer Matt Harpring. A lifelong 76ers fan (and basketball fan in general), I was excited to have the opportunity to talk to him. In that conversation, which lasted about an hour, he told me directly that the 76ers will never win a championship with Allen Iverson. I wanted to think he was wrong, but I knew he was right.

Now it's time to move forward and embrace the newest additions to the team. Miller has impressed me at times when I saw him play live as a Clipper. He has some skills and has career averages of more than 14 points and seven assists. He is a quality point guard who should move current starter Kevin Ollie back to the bench where he belongs. Though he is no replacement for AI, who no one will replace, Miller is a young, quality point guard who could be a steady piece of a championship puzzle if the team rebuilds quickly.

Seldom used forward Ivan McFarlin will head to Denver with AI. Hopefully for McFarlin he'll participate in a win soon. His only playing time has come in Sixers losses this season (0-11 when he takes the court).

The youth movement is in full effect, and I can't help but wonder if the team won't be able to move Chris Webber around the trade deadline. If anyone is thinking straight in the front office, Webber should be on the block. Now comes the exciting part...How this new-look team handles the road in front of them.

1 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, December 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the blog that you have. I was wondering if you would link my blog to yours and in return I would do the same for your blog. If you want to, my site name is American Legends and the URL is:

www.americanlegends.blogspot.com

If you want to do this just go to my blog and in one of the comments just write your blog name and the URL and I will add it to my site.

Thanks,
David

 

Post a Comment

<< Home