Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Bedtime Fan Fuss - Could the Phillies' infield be improved?


When studying my bank statements, it's evident that I don't work in the Phillies front office. Thankfully. Because if I did I'd be on the verge of getting fired for speaking up about the organization's blasé approach to improving a team that just wasn't good enough in 2005.

Every time players are dealt and signed, I go into a deep malaise and wonder if new GM Pat Gillick is feeling it with me. Recently, after admiring the acquisition of another team, I began to think about what we need. More pitching and a bat with some pop. Pitching is going to be hard to come by as the best free agent reliever sits in aVenezuelann jail cell awaiting trial. But the bat with pop could be had.

It is widely known that second baseman Alfonso Soriano is unhappy with his new team's (Washington Nationals) decision to move him to the outfield. They won't budge and neither will he. If I'm sitting in the GM's chair, we're pouncing on this situation trying to offer Washington a solution. Soriano, who hit 36 home runs and drove in 104, could be the piece of the puzzle that the Phillies need not only to compete, but also squeeze some fans through the turnstiles.

Sure we have Chase Utley at second, but he can be moved to third. Adding Soriano would give us a top-flight infield of Utley, Jimmy Rollins (SS), Soriano and Ryan Howard (1B). Not too shabby.

Who, you might ask, would we trade? How about a package of Bobby Abreu and David Bell. Bell is worthless as a starter, but could be good in spot duty. Abreu, on the other hand, fills the Nationals' need for a quality outfielder. It's a "win-win" for both teams as Jason Michaels could move into Abreu's spot in the Phils' outfield.

If I'm contemplating this deal, I hope to God that Gillick is looking into it. Two teams getting what they're looking for is the key to all trades. This is one of those scenarios.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home