Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Bedtime Fan Fuss - Closed!

This is a new series that I plan on writing nightly just before I hit the sack. I call is bedtime fan fuss, because I plan to rant more than some write. My first topic, and my first post about the Phillies, is Billy Wagner.

Just let him go. Why drag on the fans of Philadelphia acting like you might sign him? History has proven that Wagner is damaged goods. His arm is still lively, when in service. But is a sports car really that good if it spends half of the year in the shop? No.

The mere fact that the Mets are into signing him, making an initial contract offering today, should be a sign that he is not worth the money that you'd be paying. The Mets have been overpaying for damaged goods since losing to the real NYC team in the subway series. Besides, there are more serviceable players that can rifle a fastball for an inning every two to three days.

My pitch would be to Seattle. Send them Jim Thome, who is done as far as playing in the field and would make a perfect DH, in exchange for "Everyday" Eddie Guardado. He's only making $4 million a year compared with the $10 million that Wagner is seeking. He also had 36 saves in 58 games, compared with Wagner's 38 in 75 games. I know, Eddie has some injury woes, but it comes at half the price, with the same results come September.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home